Thursday, June 26, 2008

June Rabbits

June is always a tough month for most people. It's the beginning of the summer season, gas prices are going up, you spent your last $9.50 on a six pack and lottery tickets and you have three days until your next pay check. You're looking forward to a vacation you've been planning (even though you haven't booked the hotel yet and haven't asked for the time off work), but expenses just keep piling up and now that vacation is becoming a source of stress.
I'm sure you have heard of "a case of the Mondays," well what you are experiencing is very similar. I call it your "June Rabbits." The more rabbits you have the more they multiply(because they are breeders) and the worse it seems.
I learned a valuable lesson growing up from my father. We lived in Barstow, California at the time and he told me to watch out for Rabbits, they will eat your garden, take over your house, and give your kids rabies. That is when I started hating rabbits and developed my philosophy of June Rabbits. It doesn't matter what kind of rabbit it is, you don't want it around you in June.
When eliminating the rabbits from your life, start with the people that are rabbits. The people that are constantly bringing you down need to be thrown out with the rest of the rabbits.
In the movie the Matrix, when Neo is told to follow the white rabbit, all I could keep yelling is, "No, Neo! Don't follow the white rabbit, shoot it!" If he would have, he never would have been in the mess he ended up in... I don't know what happens, I stopped watching after he started popping pills (the red or the blue pill?) I think it was a horrible example for kids. Neo has to take pills to save the world? Grow up Wachowski brothers.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Dr. Larry Winkle,

You are the greatest. I say that from the depths of my heart. However, sometimes when you are so negative it raises the beast within me and gets me so angry and depressed that I have lots of suicidal thoughts. What can I do to overcome these monsters within me? Do you have any mental ammunition that I can anihilate them with?

Dr. Larry Winkle said...

d,
if there is one thing I have it is a lot of mental ammunition. However, you sound like a rabbit to me and it's June, so I am affraid I can't talk to you until next month. Hang in there, I hope you're still around and open for some good advice in July. Odds are against you though d, most rabbits on the verge of suicide don't make it through June.

Chris said...

Dear Dr. Larry Winkle,

I find your analogies very colorful and rather interesting. I think they would be more effective if they were relevant. Is Barstow known for having rabbits? I noticed your way of dealing with "d," which you called a rabbit, was to ignore him. Is this the best way to deal with June Rabbits, just ignore them?

Dr. Larry Winkle said...

Chris,
First of all, I would never suggest ignoring your June Rabbits. June Rabbit is not just a brilliant alternative phrase for “problems,” so don’t confuse the two. Sure all problems are june rabbits, but not all june rabbits are problems. A good example would be ‘d,’ (from above). I am not ignoring him (some rabbits will take care of themselves), I just don’t teach quitters, so we will find out if he is a quitter (no longer here to ask me questions in July) or a student.
Are there any rabbits in Barstow? You obviously don’t travel much, of course there are rabbits. If there is one thing worse in Barstow then the rabbits, it would be all of the desert turtles. If I had to guess I would say you were either a desert turtle or one of the scientologist freaks that follows Tom Cruise around all day. The coyotes are taking care of the rabbit/turtle problems in Barstow, but if you are just here to ask your ‘relevant’ questions, I welcome you to leave. My students come here to learn and to be inspired, I don’t have time for mediocre compliments and questions to justify my actions.

Unknown said...

Dear Dr. Larry Winkle,

I have had some time to consider what you said yesterday. At first it tore me up inside because you said that we ourselves are not the "June Rabbits", but the people that bring us down. And seeing as how you were the one bringing me down you would be my "June Rabbit". I can't push my idol away from me so I decided to take some of you other advice.

I wrote a power poem to help it follows:
Eat those Rabbits! Eat them all!
They may taste gamey but it's worth it!
Munch them! Munch them down!
If you eat them you can attain the stars.
Hunt the Rabbits! Hunt them!

I hope that you approve it seems that this is really helping me this morning. I also went and watched the movie "Lion King" and immedeatly after the movie finished I went into the bathroom looked myself down in the mirror and in a firm, powerful tone said, "Simba...remember who you are!" Now I feel like the early worm and I want to meet with the early bird to figure out how to catch the Rabbits! Maybe we can even get an Elmer Fudd to help catch these rascly rabbits.

If not for you I would be lost in a sea of Rabbits and bunnies right now. Thank you doctor you have helped me beyond words.

Dr. Larry Winkle said...

d,

Some times a life coach's toughest moment to face is when he comes to the realization his best advice is to refer a student to someone else. Have you heard of a guy by the name of Jim Jones? I think he would be a better fit for you and your rabbit-like ears. If he offers you something colorful and fruity...drink it.