Thursday, July 3, 2008

Day 5

As all of you know Da Baicai can be cooked in many different ways. In fact, 20 years ago a Chinese housewife needed to learn how to vary the evening meal by using the “big cabbage” in different dishes. I haven’t been able to find one housewife that knows more than four ways to cook Da Baicai (which blows my mind), it amazes me how quickly we lose essential skills. If it only takes 20 years to lose touch with something like this, think about all of the other things you have lost along your way. Day 5 is all about re-learning things you have forgotten. I call it the Da Baicai somersault. I call it that because in order to do a somersault you have to move your feet over the head. It can be done forwards, backwards, or sideways. I don’t care how you do it, just do it (forefrontal view). Today, I want you to do everything you do backwards, sideways, or forward…if you usually do it backwards or sidewards. For instance, when you make your peanut butter and jelly sandwich today, try putting the peanut butter and the jelly on the outside of your sandwich. Chew, swallow and then bite. Then put your hands in your pockets and then wipe them off…see how differently you can do things. In case you’re not following, I will give you another example; Get dressed and ready to go out, then lie in the bathtub and turn on the water. Scrub your body (over the clothes) with soap, then take them off and drain the water. Then dry your hair, and now apply shampoo. I think you’re starting to get the hang of it. How backwards can you be today? You will find it will open your eyes and allow you to see the world a little bit different. Hello! (Get it…)

1 comment:

steve said...

Goodbye

I think Tina should try a day or two before she makes up her mind about you. Oh well...I am feeling better. I must admit, a rabbit I had to get rid of was the idea that people wouldn't like my decision to get back on board with you Dr. Winkle. I am wondering if this method of self cleansing will lead to isolation. Digging the hole was difficult, and I have been afraid of calling anyone I know over to help with these tasks as I am worried that they will ask ehy I haven't been at work. I actually added that rabbit to my knecklace and I feel much better as a result. I must say, I have given more thought on joining the peace corps, and I have decided to complete your self actualization course before making up my mind. I haven't been able to post as I have been very tired as a result of the strenous activities you have laid in my path.

Dear Dr. Winkle,