Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Day 6

Face it, we live in a material world and I am a material man. I am not here to brag about my 19 rollies (hip term multiple Rolexes. Collector’s throw this term around all the time.) or my 12 brits (again, hip term for brietlings). I have a genuine passion for the finer things in life, therefore I tend to treat myself to a few things. This always seems to be a point of conflict with people. They say, a life coach shouldn’t preach about materialistic things, you should be about empowering yourself and helping others. I always use the following example to get my point across; If I take a homeless man to a pie factory and I only have enough money for three pies. How much should I give him? The responses I get tend to be anywhere from “why are you taking him to a pie factory? Why not a grocery store or a somewhere he can get a good meal?”( these people have completely missed the point of the story) Others say, “You should give him all of the pies or two of the pies.” (These people are probably on their way to being homeless as we speak. They would prefer to give everything they own away.) The correct answer is that you give the homeless guy whatever is left when you’re done eating. If I am able to eat two and a half pies, then he is only going to get a half a pie. Usually I can eat all three, so he gets to watch. It is important to never offer him a bite until I am so full, and so sick that I don’t even want to look at another piece of pie. This does a couple of things. First, it shows the homeless guy (bum), that if he were working and doing things for himself, he could afford three pies (this exercise doesn’t work as well if you take the bum to the grocery store and buy carrots, they don’t care if you don’t share). Second of all it rewards you for earning the money you made. Your mind takes a subconscious note (also known as a Hindu Bean), telling itself that if you work hard, you will enjoy the rewards. Hindu Beans are what make the top performers in life perform. Thirdly, if you are full and sick, you won’t resent the bum for eating your food when you give it to him. You can actually be happy for him and you feel good about yourself. Today, I want you to take a bum to a pie factory and order three pies. Whatever you CAN’T finish, he gets. You will feel better about giving, plus you will have already enjoyed some pie for yourself. So even if you don’t enjoy giving, you’ll still be happy, because you ate pie. You need to learn to treat yourself first. This philosophy is why I have become such a great life coach and so successful in business.

No comments: